One Crazy Fiber Lady

Friday, October 22, 2004

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://crazyfiberlady.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Musings

I have to re-examine my use of that recently acquired knitting bag as my current commuter tote bag. While it has done a stupendous job of holding the junk I want/need to carry to the office, as well as my current knitting project, supplies and a book for when knitting isn't convenient. The shoulder straps are too short for fall/winter coat commuting. I'm having a hard time getting it on my shoulder over my 3 season coat. Phooey. I'll have to take a look at some messenger bags this weekend to see if I can get something that will do the job.

Call me the queen of the commuter bag. I have quite the collection. I need something that isn't too big, but not too small at the same time. I want to be able to carry my knitting (decent sized project, doesn't have to carry an afghan), the pattern, accessories, lunch, a book, palm pilot, iPod, cell phone, id's, and a wallet. The current wallet has space for the checkbook, a lipstick, keys and has a nice long should strap. As long as I've been commuting, I've been on the quest for the perfect commuter bag. While reading some other blogs, I discovered that I'm not the only one with this problem. Warms my heart to know I'm not alone. I've got to hit the stores this weekend anyway. Xander needs a new pair of shoes, we're running low on diapers and there's just enough food to get through a pb&j sandwich for lunch.

Expanding Boundaries

I've been reading Autobiography of a One-Year-Old by Rohan Candappa. Quite the amusing book it is. I read this paragraph on the train home last night:

The first steps in any endeavor are always the most important. For without the first steps, no journey can ever be made. I take my first steps in joy, in trepidation and in hope. And I will try to make my journey an exploration of the possible, an exhortation of delight and an example for those yet to come. Success or failure in my endeavors are outcomes that lie far over the misty horizon that is the road ahead. For now I am just grateful that in the journey that is my life, I have taken my first steps.
While this text was placed in the chapter about a child's first beginning to walk, it made me think about all the different first steps in our lives. My mind wandered to some recent comments made by fellow knitters/spinners regarding some of the things I've accomplished. Most often I hear from other knitters that while they admire my lace work, they doubt their skills would ever enable them to knit a lace shawl. I say go for it. If you have mastered the knit and purl stitches, and have a basic understanding of how to read a pattern, there is no reason why you cannot knit lace. Yes I've been knitting for a long time, far longer than I care to ponder. But I wasn't born knitting lace. I had to venture out and try it. My first items weren't spectacular, but they were indeed first steps on a journey. A journey that I took in fear and hope, but has led me to lace. You don't know what you can't do until you've tried it. Sure all those blocks in the charted design can be intimidating, but isn't mastery over the intimidating so fulfilling? 'Nuff said. Go try lace :)

Knitting time

While I did start knitting up a hat for one of the kids last night in the train station, I didn't get much further than that. I'm doing a simple hat, from the top down. Probably for Xander. I was too interested in the book, or too tired, can't remember why I didn't knit on the train. Maybe I did, I'm just too tired to remember. Last night wasn't the restful night that I was planning on. I had to clean the rabbit's cage (eeew stinky bunny) and the twins just wouldn't stay asleep. Xander really didn't want to sleep so he cried for a while. I spent some time rocking him to sleep. Though he would keep waking up crying. Must be the shots from the day before... or teething (always a handy dandy blame-it-all). At one point he woke Kat so I had them both crying. She usually sleeps right through his noise, but go figure, not last night. I got him finally to sleep at 10:15. I then was faced with an unhappy and very awake Kat. I gave her the rest of her bedtime bottle, rocked her and she finally went to bed at 11pm. So much for going to sleep early. Maybe tonight.

At least today is Knit Club at work. Woo hoo. I love getting together with the girls in Conference Room F (F for fibery fun) for an hour's worth of stitchin' & bitchin'. Deb, my designer commuting bud, suggested I mix the pink and white pearl buttons on Kat's sweater so I'm going to sew those on today. If there's still time, I'll go back to working the hat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home